Video Series: Become a Project Management Minimalist
This series of free online videos (also available on DVD) is designed to help you apply “just enough” project management (PM) to manage your projects effectively — without burdening your team (and you!) with a bunch of unnecessary PM administrivia. This series, along with the one-page reference, 10 Steps to Project Success, can be used as stand-alone basic PM training. It also serves as an in-depth introduction to the Book, The Project Management Minimalist.
[Update: As of June 12, 2011 all of the videos listed here and more — 12 in all — are available on a single DVD: The Project Management Minimalist Video Series — So you can order them and use anywhere with your project teams!]
This series is suitable for…
- Absolute PM newbies
- Buyers of (or people thinking about buying) The Project Management Minimalist: Just Enough PM to Rock Your Projects!
- Project managers & team leaders who want a PM refresher, with a focus on the essences
- Supervisors & trainers of project managers who are looking for a simple, straightforward PM approach
Below is a summary of each video in the series. A couple of suggestions…
- I recommend you view them in sequence, beginning with Video 1.
- I also recommend you download & print the PDF reference tool: 10 Steps to Project Success.
[optional] Overview: The Project Management Minimalist, 2nd edition [Running time, 7:38]
- An overview of the book, how it’s organized, etc.
[optional] Quick Start Guide for the PM Minimalist [9:59]
- What if you could manage a project using a one-page checklist? This video shows you how.
- (Learn more/download the PDF Quick Start Guide here: http://michaelgreer.biz/?p=1540 )
- Overview of PM
- The PM Minimalist Approach
- Overview of Series
Video 2-A: PM Nuts & Bolts [9:59]
(!! Get the PDF reference tool: 10 Steps to Project Success.)
- 1. Define the project concept, then get support & approval.
- 2. Get your team together and start the project.
- 3. Figure out exactly what the finished work products will be.
Video 2-B: PM Nuts & Bolts [9:52]
- 4. Figure out what you need to do to complete the work products. (Identify tasks & phases.)
- 5. Estimate time, effort, and resources.
Video 2-C: PM Nuts & Bolts [5:02]
- 6. Build the schedule.
- 7. Estimate the costs.
Video 2-D: PM Nuts & Bolts [7:24]
- 8. Keep the project moving.
- 9. Handle scope changes.
- 10. Close out phases, close out the project.
[optional] Video 3-A: 10 Strategies to Create More Inspired Project Teams [9:03]
- Trust your judgment.
- Let go of perfectionism.
- Celebrate the chaos within.
- [Note… this is the first of 3 videos supporting “10 Strategies for More Inspired Project Teams” The others are available on The Project Management Minimalist Video Series DVD]
NEW — Just Released August, 2011: [Video] A PM Minimalist’s Perspective on Agile, Scrum, & Waterfall [5 min.]
Update: As of June 12, 2011 all of the videos listed here and more — 12 in all — are available on a single DVD: The Project Management Minimalist Video Series — So you can order them and use anywhere with your project teams!
Posted: June 3rd, 2010 under Announcements, Inspiration and Motivation, Project Management.
Tags: close out, cost estimate, deliverables, effort, inspiration, motivation, PM, project kickoff, Project Management, project team, resources, responsibility/accountability, schedule, scope, scope change, sign-off, WBS