Posts Tagged ‘PM competency’
Loads of links & plenty of great free resources to help you retool! Check out the full article here.
Edited: June 28th, 2016
This FREE PDF will help you build your own PM Basics Workshop!
Edited: January 23rd, 2016
Edited: December 17th, 2015
This Labor Day weekend, to celebrate the introduction of my new book, Worth Sharing: Essays & Tools to Help Project Managers & Their Teams*, I’m reducing the price of the ebook versions of BOTH Worth Sharing…* AND my best selling The Project Management Minimalist.* But these special prices won’t last long, so take advantage of this deal while you can! The links are below:
* Learn more about The Project Management Minimalist collection here... or check out an infographic of Worth Sharing: Essays & Tools… here.
Edited: September 4th, 2015
Edited: September 1st, 2015
Just published! My new book, Worth Sharing: Essays & Tools to Help Project Managers & Their Teams, is a 300 page eclectic compilation of practical PM tools, thought-provoking PM essays and suggestions for helping individual project managers and their teams stay sane while delivering good quality finished products. It consists of 54 Chapters and hundreds of live links to additional PM resources. Most of the chapters were originally published as blog posts through my websites and have never before been released in book form. (See http://worth-sharing.net for info on all my websites, blog posts, videos, etc.) A few chapters include some important, classic excerpts from my previous books.
The book is divided into six major Parts, including:
- Part 1: The Meaning of Project Management (3 Chapters)
- Part 2: PM Techniques (12 Chapters)
- Part 3: Working with Your Team & Maintaining Your Sanity (12 Chapters)
- Part 4: Peace of Mind (12 Chapters)
- Part 5: PM Leadership and Vision (7 Chapters)
- Part 6: Of PM Skills and How They Are Acquired (8 Chapters)
You can read the entire book (all 300 pages!) online, for free. And it’s available in paperback & all ebook formats. Get details at my Worth Sharing website!
Edited: July 29th, 2015
As regular readers of this blog know, I don’t exactly push PM newbies toward PMP (or any other commercially available) certification. In fact, in several extended essays and PDFs, I’ve tried mightily to make the case for local, do-it-yourself PM certification while providing specific, step-by-step instructions in how to do so:
- Do-It-Yourself PM Certification: How to Document Your Skills & Get the Credibility You’ve Earned without Jumping Through Someone Else’s Hoops
- Seven Benefits of Local PM Certification: Why Pursuing Locally-Relevant PM Skills Makes More Sense Than Buying Generic, External PM Certifications
- Beyond PM Certification: Achieving PM Performance Improvement
- How to Create a Locally-Relevant Set of PM Job Tasks & Competencies Based on Job Level
- Project Management is a Broad Human Practice, not Merely a Profession
Still, if your employer or clients have drunk the PMI Kool-Aid and are absolutely, positively convinced that you need their PMP stamp of approval to do your job, then you should know about Firebrand’s amazing collection of powerful, “accelerated” PMP study tools, exercises and answers. The Firebrand collection can do two important things for you:
- If you are undecided about pursuing PMP certification, it can help you take a very fast, efficient “deep dive” into the conceptual database that makes up the PMP certification body of content. This way you can quickly decide for yourself whether this stuff is going to be helpful to your unique PM career.
- If you are committed to the PMP certification path, it can serve as a well-designed set of “crib notes,” reference tools and practice exercises to speed you on your way to the certification exam.
Video Tour: Firebrand’s Free PMP Training
Below is my quick video tour of the free online training materials available at the Firebrand website to help you qualify for your PMP certification. Enjoy!
======= Related Articles =========
- The Origins of My PM Minimalism: It’s Not Merely Simple-Minded… It’s About PM Essences
- My Incredible Shrinking PM Recommendations
- My 10 Favorite PM Articles, Posts, or Videos from 2013
- Free e-Book “What Project Management Means to Me” from #PMFlashBlog Authors
- (Video) The Project Management Change Agent: How to Lead Your PM Revolution (55 minute video includes links to 25-page PDF.)
Edited: March 21st, 2014
Do-It-Yourself PM Certification: How to Document Your Skills & Get the Credibility You’ve Earned without Jumping Through Someone Else’s Hoops
Yes. I’m serious. As someone who has helped to create PM competency lists and certifications, I think it’s time you got the inside story. And I think it’s time you certified yourself as a fully competent PM practitioner. This 16-page PDF article reveals:
- The difference between certification and competence
- How certifications are created
- How certifications are sold and acquire power
- The benefits of do-it-yourself PM certification
- Specifically, step-by-step, how you can create your own professional-grade, thoroughly defensible PM certification
- (Again… Yes, I’m serious. Quite serious.)
- See related article/PDF: Seven Benefits of Local PM Certification — Why Pursuing Locally-Relevant PM Skills Makes More Sense Than Buying Generic, External PM Certifications
Edited: January 21st, 2011