Posts Tagged ‘post mortem’
Since I launched my first iteration of this PM (project management) Resources website in 1999 (over 14 years ago!), I’ve been happily sharing free tools, articles, and more to help new project managers become more effective. Recently I examined the statistics and compiled this list of those most frequently downloaded or read. Thanks to all of you who’ve used these and shared them with your colleagues! And if you’re new to this site or new to PM you might want to check these out for yourself. Enjoy!
2. Project “Post Mortem” Review Questions. This tool includes 35 starter questions (customizable) and instructions for conducting your own Post Mortem. It’s useful for evaluating a single project or as the starting point for an organization-wide discussion of this question: “How can we manage our projects more effectively?”
3. Worksheet: Sample Project Sign-Off Form. Projects are, by definition, finite. And sign-offs provide tangible proof that some portion of your finite project is (finally!) completed, thus helping to mitigate rework. This sample can be used as a model for developing your own sign-off form for your project phases, deliverables, 0r project completion.
4. The PM Minimalist Quick Start Guide is designed to help you plan and manage your first project using the PM Minimalist approach.
This 38 page e-book is available in Kindle, NOOK, and PDF formats.
5. Free E-Book: One Simple Thing to Improve Projects or PM (An Anthology) — In this e-book anthology, many working project managers & PM experts share their “one simple thing…” that could improve projects and/or project management (PM). Available in Kindle, NOOK, and PDF formats.
6. Do-It-Yourself PM Certification: How to Document Your Skills & Get the Credibility You’ve Earned without Jumping Through Someone Else’s Hoops – This extended article (PDF) explores the distinction between competence and certification. It then provides a professionally valid, step-by-step process for documenting your own PM skills and self-certifying. –
- See related article/PDF: Seven Benefits of Local PM Certification — Why Pursuing Locally-Relevant PM Skills Makes More Sense Than Buying Generic, External PM Certifications
7. Video Series: Become a Project Management Minimalist – This series of 8 free online videos is designed to help you apply “just enough” project management (PM) to manage your projects effectively.
8. What’s Project Portfolio Management (PPM) & Why Should Project Managers Care About It? – The title says it all!
9. Too Many Projects? Prioritize Them! — A practical guide and sample worksheet to help you prioritize that overloaded list of projects. (See also the related item 8, above.)
10. (Video) The Project Management Change Agent: How to Lead Your PM Revolution (55 minute video includes links to 25-page PDF.) – Are you ready to be the change agent who brings about a PM revolution in your organization. This video can show you how to conduct some “below the radar” guerrilla PM warfare.
Edited: July 3rd, 2013
A Gift for You: A Free Project Management Book for Your Kindle, NOOK, iPad or Other Tablet / E-Reader
Have you got a new Kindle, NOOK, iPad, or other e-Reader or tablet computer?
To help you celebrate that cool new toy, I’ve just prepared two new versions of The PM Minimalist Quick Start Guide: a “mobi” version (used by Kindle readers) and an “epub” version (used by NOOK, iPad, & nearly all other e-readers/tablets). And you can get them both for free!
Edited: December 19th, 2011
(The following article is part of our One Simple Thing…to Improve Projects series. It was contributed by Stacy Pearson. Stacy is a volunteer, mom, and project manager. She is also the founder of The Blogunteer – a blog that is dedicated to inspiring volunteerism by highlighting the many organizations already out there making a difference and individuals who give their time. You can follow Stacy Pearson on Twitter at http://twitter.com/stacy_pearson.)
At the end of a project, many of us just want to be done. We may already have a new thing to move onto, we may be happy that some project frustrations will go away, or we may just look forward to an end of project celebration. (more…)
Edited: November 21st, 2011
Now I’m pleased to announce that all new subscribers will receive a link to download a special Bonus zip file containing 15 PDF files (88 pages of articles, tools, samples, etc.) and a 37-minute podcast! These articles and tools are the ones most frequently downloaded by visitors to this website. Now, when you subscribe to my email Updates, you’ll be able to get all these popular files in one easy download so you can have them on your own computer for quick reference when you need them!
Click here to go to the SUBSCRIBE page, then follow the instructions. After you’ve subscribed, email me at email@example.com and I’ll send you the link to your download. For a complete list of all the files in the Bonus Package, click “Read More” below.
Edited: March 27th, 2011