[This is the first article in my “vacation” series, suggesting some great ways to use your vacation down time. Other articles include On Vacation? Renew your spirit & recreate your enthusiasm with these 23 inspirational posts & podcasts & Summer vacation? Take along lots of free books & magazines with these 5 apps!]
Got some peace and quiet scheduled for your summer vacation or an upcoming holiday? Why not spend a few hours to retool and teach yourself some new project management (PM) skills? Or maybe you’d like to plot a revolution in the way your organization practices PM?
Below are some links to a bunch of great (mostly free) resources that can help you pick up some basic PM skills, fill in some gaps in your PM tool kit or plot your organization’s PM revolution. Check them out! Spend a little time with them. And get ready to take charge of those tough projects when you get back to work! Enjoy!
Some Self-Study Guides
- How to Teach Yourself About Project Management… in under 3 hours (and for less than $10)!! — A quick, yet comprehensive PM self-study guide. Includes links to free videos, a podcast and a quick-reference tool.
- How to Teach Yourself About Project Management (In-depth Version) — You can spend hours or days with this in-depth PM self-study guide. LOADS of links to serious materials that will help you broaden your PM background while targeting specific PM skills.
- Free ebook: The PM Minimalist Quick Start Guide — No PM theory… very little PM background info… This step-by-step Quick Start Guide will take you straight to planning your first project, the PM Minimalist way.
Some Challenging Bonus Stuff
- My Project Management FREEBIES website lists hundreds of PM freebies in these categories: PM books/articles, PM podcasts/webinars, PM templates/tools, PM software & PM training.
- Do-It-Yourself PM Certification: How to Document Your Skills & Get the Credibility You’ve Earned without Jumping Through Someone Else’s Hoops — Who needs PMP certification? Maybe not you?
Tools to Help You Change PM in Your Organization
- Recipe for a Do-It-Yourself, Hands-on Project Management Basics Class for 10 Students: Under $500! — A solid, serious outline and specific materials list for creating a practical PM training session for you and your team.
- (Video & PDF) The Project Management Change Agent: How to Lead Your PM Revolution — Designed to help you “shake things up” in your organization!
- My free podcasts for PM Inspiration, Motivation, & Team Building — Include motivational quotations, reflections, team challenges & more!
- How to Create a Locally-Relevant Set of PM Job Tasks & Competencies Based on Job Level — Yep. This speaks to your inner HR-geek. And it makes the case for a competency-based PM career path for any organization!